24 Nov 2009
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.” ~Steven Wright
- Holidays would be great if it weren’t for so much famn damily.
- Ken is my new best friend, maybe I should tell him.
- The Robert MapplethorpeDancer Rita Marcolo and her Dance of Epileptic Seizures. (Go read it, I dare you.) (Thanks to Lynn for the link.) Award for Best Use of Your Tax Dollars Spent on the Arts goes to
- If you are going with a typical grocery store turkey, either get a kosher one or a frozen Butterball, they are salted and basically pre-brined and will come out much juicier. Personally, I am roasting a 13 pound goose that takes two days to prepare. And five minutes to consume. And, no, I won’t save you any.
- Pearlsky really hates when the grease from the goose causes smoke and the fire alarm goes off. Maybe she can go to your house while I cook?
- We are supposed to be thankful on Thanksgiving. Sounds like a stupid conspiracy to me. Let’s see, my thankful list …
- There won’t be any school nurses at my table.
- I get to hug my mom, it’s been too long since I saw her last.
- Rachael, an incredible little girl who had a stroke last year at age six, got some good news from one of the best children’s stroke teams around. I didn’t think neurologists were allowed to give good news.
- The anti-social worker silent deterrent thing hung on my front door seems to be working.
- Oprah announces she is going off the air right after I send her an email daring her to allow me and Ashley’s dad to debate on her show. What a chicken shit, she could have just said “no.”
- Let’s see if Larry King acts the same way.
- Admit it, you also think it would be a hoot to go to the Disabled Kid’s Keeper’s house for Thanksgiving dinner. Or have her at yours.
- Do they even have turkeys in Hungary? Or Canada?
- I am very thankful that they finally fired up the LHCCERN and nothing happened to end life as we know it in an instant as a black hole formed and sucked up the earth. But then, there’s still hope, they will quadruple the power soon. at
Don’t forget our gallery and the poll of the day!
Thanks to the blog community we have here for the support and good words. And if you really really have nowhere else to go, come join Pearlsky and me for some goose. She really does share. I don’t.
There’s actually a “Pratt Institute” in Brooklyn??!
The Pratt Institute in Brooklyn is a very ritzy art school that would probably swoon over conceptual “art” like this. Frankly, I don’t think this is “art” but just another example of pretentious crap disguised as art. I long for the better days of abstract expressionism and when drawing skills were still taught in schools.
Stephanie…thanks for the explanation. I guess I thought it was funny because “prat” in the U.K. means “idiot” or “stupid”, as in , “What a prat!”. To have a “Pratt” institute made me laugh.
Thanking you for a couple of chuckles, too, SD. Goose. Quite the experience to eat from my Dad’s shooting skill. Do you cook yours in sauerkraut? That’s what Mom did. Gave her a peck just hours ago. Glad to hear you will be seeing your Mom soon.
My ‘other’ answer to the poll: starting breaking famdamily rules years ago. We do what we want on the holidays. Try to include who we can when we can.
Well, maybe Ken is your new best friend, but I have a blogger award for you. Does heeee have one? I know that you absolutely love to engage in these award-passing games, so enjoy 🙂 Happy Thanksgiving to you and the fam 🙂
That was mighty nice of ya.
Just went and read that Epilepsy Dance thing. It struck me as sad and unfortunate, on a hundred levels. Then I just thought…OK, well…how many dumbasses are actually a part of all this? I’m thinking maybe 32 or 33 total dumbasses to put all that into motion. That’s a lot of idiocy in one confined space.
Single Dad, We will miss you around our Thanksgiving table. We’ll make sure and send a toast and a blessing your way in gratitude for your informative, amusing, and wonderful blogging, and to toast our connection of being parents of a different kind. By the way, we’ll be in Vegas for turkey day!!!
Claire: Stay tuned, my next post will need your comments.
Barbara: No sauerkraut but that sounds great. Basically I pierce the skin all over, boil it for two minutes, keep it uncovered in the refridge for two days, then roast! Comes out incredible, de-fatted, and is devoured in minutes.
Erika: You make me respond to some wonderful award thingy and claim to talk funny, but Ken has facial hair, a beautiful wife and two cute kids! Who do YOU think should be my best friend? 😉 (Don’t tell Ken, but you’ll always be my blogging bbf.)
Ken: Thanks for posting in the gallery, and yes, the concentration of idiocracy in that article is very scary.
Keeper: Vegas???!! Well put $20 on black for me. You know you will be thought of and discussed at my Thanksgiving table. I’ll save a piece of goose for you …
There is no way I can compete with Ken. He easily out-cools me.
So how did the goose turn-out? I’d like to try your method sometime. Mom said the sauerkraut is meant to soak-up the fat. Turns-into kind of a condiment with the meat; not-quite a side-dish.