03 Feb 2011
Things I just don’t get
- I don’t really get naturopathy. I can understand, and support, acupuncture, but chelation therapy? Colonic enemas? Cranial osteopathy? Why would one trust this stuff?
- Then there’s homeopathy. What ever happened to the concept of double blind scientific studies? I truly believe in live and let live, but what’s up with this stuff? We may have wupped their arses two hundred thirty years ago, but I must say, they got this right.
- I don’t get twitter. I am trying. Do you really want to know what I do during the day? Am I that interesting? Trust me, NO. I now have an account, or whatever they call it, and have set it up so I can send a twit from my phone (oh, wait, I’m the twit, that would be a tweet, right?). Maybe I’ll tweet from the IEP. My name thing is PearlskysDad and here is a button you can hit if you want to be bored shitless …
- Pearlsky got her body jacket today, and I’m not sure I get it. Yes, I will show a picture one of these days. She looks ok in it, even comfortable … but I’ll tell you, it is very difficult to put it on by myself. I’ll have to figure that one out. And the color? I tweeted that … you didn’t see?
- Glenn Beck
- I don’t get why Pearlsky seems to be changing all of the sudden, for the better. Or is it just me seeing it? I’ll get communication out of her just yet.
Re: # 1 and #2…because it works.
I neither doubt that some of it works, nor do I fault those that use them. On the other hand, (and NOT equating this with those areas) if putting the entrails of a pidgeon on the roof of my house daily would help Pearlsky (PETA be darned), hell, I would do it.
That doesn’t mean I get it. Or understand it.
Pearlsky ‘gets’ you. Now.
Tweeting is just another form of self-expression. Some call it micro-blogging. Insofar as ppl tweeting what they are doing – about half, I’d say. The other half of what is tweeted is a mix – to include advertisement. If you get really bored, or just ask, I can give you lots of reference for how to ‘get’ twitter.
I am very happy to read that Pearlsky is comfortable in the brace. I hope donning it will become more routine for you.
I wonder what was going on at the school that is no longer going on, now that the whole official complaint thing has started and the head nurse bitch woman is probably not having so much contact with her….
Disclaimer: I have no idea what I’m talking about. Just throwing out ideas.
Could there be some subtle but important difference in the amino acid you’re giving her these days? After the debacle with the other company you did say the new stuff was different.
Maybe she’s entering a new developmental phase and things are clicking.
Or maybe it’s your persistence paying off.
you never had an enema?
Homeopathy does work. So does osteopathy. One trusts it when it works.
@Kevin: you had?
The problem with homeopathy is that because of the way it works it can’t be double blind tested. Because homeopathy is art. Every case is different and the right answer is often a bit of trial and error.
To be honest, I don’t use homeopathy that much myself (homeopathic nasal spray last cold I got, cause I couldn’t use the regular one cause of the oxytocine in it)
I do use bioresonance therapy. I use it in addition to regular medicine though, I’m not so stupid to believe that herbs and sound can cure cancer by itself for instance (no I don’t have cancer, just using an example).
I think there’s still a lot to the human body and medicine to discover and in the mean time there will be things out there that might or might not work, but can be worth trying.
I don’t get twitter either. I just don’t, I have had an account for about two years and posted once. I don’t like it.
I don’t twat. Never understood it myself. Or tweet. Or whatever you call it. Even on Facebook, I rarely ever update my ‘status’ the way a lot of people do, with pictures from my cell phone of my lunch and stuff. Now, if I had a cell phone, maybe I would. But that’s another story.
I don’t get homeopathy either. But I certainly don’t have any problem with it. Hey whatever floats your boat, know what I mean? Me? I like women. But if you are a dude and you want to be with a dude, more power to ya. And go RIGHT ahead and serve in the military too, I think it’s SO lame that the government has an issue with that.
Appreciate Disabled NYC’s comment, it resonates with me as a parent. It’s a puzzle. It’s not going well, what’s going on? It’s going better, what’s causing it? Could it be this? Could it be that? And then – for me – there’s always a little fear that there’s something right in front of me that I’m missing but should be doing, or will find out later that I should or could have been doing all along but just didn’t know.
Amazing about the body jacket!
Glad to hear that Pearlsky’s doing well!
@Kevin — 29 yrs old here and never had an enema to date. I prefer to continue to abstain from them. SD – so what made you decide to go with the white? So it wouldn’t show through her clothes?
The thing about alternative or natural remedies is that there is at LEAST as much quackery as there is therapeutic value.
I don’t get twitter either, and yet I just opened a twitter account for my company. I’d better get it soon, or I’m going to make us look the fool.
I’m glad Pearlsky seems comfortable with the new jacket. Is it improving her naps? If it’s the style I’m picturing, it might go on most easily if you lay it out on her changing table and lower her into it, but then I might be totally off. I’m sure in a couple weeks you’ll be managing like an old pro.
Rachel is correct for a 50/50 chance of value – which is insufficient statistically to make claims of effectiveness and may be in part due to inclusion of too many ‘items’ under the alternative/natural moniker. Would that the ‘items’ be tested rigorously enough (double blind scientific studies) to weed-out the ineffective ones. At that, a consumer must trust the researcher or reporter of said research to believe outcomes as reported. ‘Getting it’ means deciding for yourself but it seems it makes no sense to you, SD. Will this help?